A new study on the effects of heavy caffiene use shows that people that drink at least seven cups of coffee a day are three times as likely to see hallucinations.
They asked 219 students to fill in well-validated standardised questionnaires relating to caffeine intake, stress, persecutory thoughts and hallucinatory experience and found that caffeine intake was associated with a small but reliable increase in susceptibility to hallucinations.
Here are some of the actual headlines from the study.
- Coffee addicts see dead people
- Caffeine, Responsible For Hallucinations
- Did You See That Pink Elephant?
- Too Much Coffee Can Cause You To Freak Out, Man
- Coffee may make you see ghosts
- Coffee linked to ‘visions’
- ‘Coffeeholics wake the dead’
While the study also showed that stress played a part in the hallucinations as well, I don’t think it’s a leap to conclude that having that much caffiene flowing through your system is pretty damn stressful.
The bottom line is, if you’re tired of always getting stuck in traffic while driving to work on a lizard while chasing the dragon and carpooling with Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, you may want to consider switching to decaf.